Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Love the color

posted by brted on 12/04/2012
    2 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Pretty color. Anodizing seemed good without any flaws or chips and the colors of the different parts match up pretty well. Machining is good. Threads are a little chalky, but smooth. O-rings at all joints. No flicker and the (kind of loud) clicky works well. The negative battery contact is a little button instead of just a spring, which I like. Doesn't switch modes on its own even if I knock it pretty hard.

Cons:

The inside of the head is anodized as well. It would be better for heat transfer it it were bare aluminum. There is a nice thick o-ring where the head screws on, but thinner ones were used for the throat and tail sections. The rubber switch cover feels a little thin, but I have extras.

OtherThoughts:

The 501B is a pretty lightweight design, only 73g compared to 93g for the 502B and 96g for a silver 504B. There tail threads are bare, so there is no lockout by unscrewing the tailcap, but that's pretty typical. There is a plastic disk at the front end of the battery tube that will keep the battery contained if you unscrew the head or throat. I took one of these out of a 502B I had, but a protected XTAR 2600 18650 fits snugly lengthwise even with the disk in place, so I might leave it. Width-wise the XTAR fits fine. The head and throat threads are anodized, which will probably stop some heat transfer.

Bottomline:

If you already have plenty of drop-ins, this is a decent host to have. It may not be the best for high-power XM-L drop-ins due to the light weight and poor heatsinking, but you can improve the heatsinking if you need to.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections