Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Excellent Value For Money; does its job

posted by zoeff on 04/28/2009
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

This is my 2nd laptop power adapter. I first purchased the 100W power adapter and sold to a friend in the meantime and now purchased the 120W power adapter.

Was very satisfied with the 100W power adapter; had to change the US? main power plug to an EU main power plug (knew upfront). The 120 power adapter has a EU main power plug.

The two power adapters are looking 100% identical, likely from the same manufacturer.

The 120W unit is also good value for money, it does its job, what can you say more.

Cons:

Cable lengths are a bit short.

The look and feel quality of the 120W unit is somewhat lower than the 100w unit. It rattles inside when you shake it a bit, may be nothing serious but... Surprisingly the 120W unit is also lower in weight than the 100W unit, they seem to be identical but apparently they are not.

Both the 100W and the 120W units becomes warm when charging the laptop battery. When you switch the laptop on both the 100W and the 120W units becomes really hot. In my experience the 120W becomes a bit hotter than the 100W, not looking good for long term use. However no problems yet.

Cannot determine any performance difference between the 100W and 120W units.

For my interest also measured the different voltage settings of both units and found to be all accurate.

The laptop pugs shown on the photographs are of the straight type, which I prefer. The plugs supplied are of the 90 degree angle type; can live with it.

OtherThoughts:

Things to carefully check before you buy (carefully check the photographs on the web site); first check your required power rating and voltage setting.

The 120W (and 100W) power rating is the max. rating, only applicable in the highest 24V position. Power rating at lower voltages will be lower.

My original power adapter is a fixed 19V 4.75A adapter, hence 90W power rating.

The 100W unit max. Amp rating in the 15-19V positions is 4.5A and in the 22-24V position 4A. Hence 85.5W in the 19V position. On the borderline what I need.

The 120W unit max. Amp rating in the 15-19V position is 5.5A, hence 104.5W in the 19V position.

Bottomline:

Low price is of the essence here. The units 120W and 100W units are meant as stationary units; you do not have to walk and play around with it.

Both units do their jobs to full satisfaction up to now.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections