• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great light at a very good price

posted by Brlux on 10/19/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

This is a great light for the price. The build quality of my item is excellent with good machining and finish. The reflector is great and it has a glass lense. The threads are smoth and well cut.

The R2 led module is very bright and is safe to use with unprotected 18650. It gradually dims as the 18650 is depleted and it is barely putting out any light around 2.7V so it will not over discharge your 18650 Cell. I also ordered a 10W 3.7V Xenon bulb sku 3246 and it easily drops in and is very bright. The Xenon bulb could over discharge an unprotected 18650 cell.

Cons:

The Led lamp will not reach full power 1000mA when runing on 1 x 18650 it is closer to 600mA with a fully charged cell and is not very well regulated. It does seem to achieve full power on 2 x 123 cells.

The SOS mode is actually SOSOSOSOSOSOSOS.

The dimming is acomplished by a low frequency PWM about 100Hz so it is very noticeable to me. I am personally annoyed by any PWM frequency below 1KHz.

OtherThoughts:

I did have a problem with my switch burning out when running the 10W Xenon bulb sku 3246 in this housing. I may have actually shorted the battery to the housing when inserting the lamp with the battery installed? I was able to repair it with part of a spring from a small BIC lighter and some solder braid to form a lower resistance path for current to flow. The old switch used the spring for conducting current and is probably rated for 1.5A whereas the Xenon lamp draws about 2.5A.

Bottomline:

The build quality of the housing is very good and the R2 LED module is very nice and functional. The ability to drop in a Xenon bulb sku 3246 and have an 18650 powered Surefire clone is very nice. I liked it so much I ordered another one and will probably order more.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections