DX » Community » Reviews » UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A)
  • 5 star 56 ( 77% )
  • 4 star 17 ( 23% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• well worth considering

posted by FireFire on 10/31/2008

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

-A wide range of imput voltages.

-Does not overheat.

-Looks neat, no scratches on mine

-Lightweight (around 100g without battery cells) and compact.

-Narrow spot (maybe 6 degree?) and quite a lot of flood. All very even.

- Gives similar output to other '200 lumen' single led's or a 10watt MR11 halogen bulb.

- I guess it's waterproof from blowing into it.

Cons:

-No low mode.

-Build quality - one of my two torches squeaks when it is unscrewed, all the threads have metal debris, and worst of all when I took it apart the pill containing the circuit board contained metal shavings. I cleaned it all out.

-One waterproof ring at the lens was faling out, i don't know it was even the right size, I can't fit it in.

OtherThoughts:

I expect that the led is under driven. (It is a 'Super Bright R2' head). The led is brighter when connected directly to three nimh cells, ie with no driver ciruitry. (I've tried with four cells, and it's brighter, but it gets very hot, and I fear that it would wear out the led.)

All I have for comparison is a '240 lumen' single led bike light, which someone on Candlepowerforums rates at 160 lumens.

The UltraFire appears to be a brighter and has no bluish tint. A superior light, surely ? Handlebar mounted, one Ultrafire R2 it not much good for unlit conditions. The spot is too small, and the flood isn't enough to light the ground in front of you. To my surprise, outdoors in the dark it seems that my bluer bike light has better colour rendition. Some say R2 is greenish.

However, maybe because the UltraFire is a warmer colour and has a mix of narrow spot and flood, I'm very happy with it as a helmet light when I use it for seeing far down an unlit path.

Bottomline:

Is it value for money ?

From what I read, I reckon that if you spend twice as much on a better single led light, it will at most be 50% brighter. The 17 dollar price and it's compact size make it attractive to cyclists who could conceivably use half a dozen at once.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections