Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Not a bad deal

posted by caerlon on 07/08/2009
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

-the R2 module alone is worth $10, so you basically get a P60 host for another $5 - so when you read my 'cons' keep in mind I am reviewing basically a $5 flashlight.

-CHEAP

-very bright, decent runtime

-it works

-waterproof (see cons)

-fits 18650 sku.5790, or two CR123A rechargeables or primaries.

Cons:

-low quality anodizing, and some of the machined edges like the crown are unpleasantly sharp. the build quality, finish, machining, design and (IMO) matte look of the WF-502Bs is superior.

-mine was missing an O-ring. there are 4 O-rings in the light: 1 under the lens, 1 large one at the head, and two 20mm O-rings on the barrel. one of the 20mm O-rings on mine was missing.

-mushy, amorphous black clicky button.

-while this is superior in every way to something like a Maglite or the average Joe's idea of a flashlight, it is nowhere near as rugged as, say, a Fenix TK10. The aluminum is too thin, anodizing is too poor, etc to survive very hard use.

-only one mode: high. while i really appreciate the simplicity and no-fuss use of such a light, the default high setting is very bright and you dont really need it all the time. if you can deal with the mildly annoying operation, IMO a multi-mode light is better since it allows you to drop down to medium or low if thats all you need, as well as conserving battery life.

OtherThoughts:

The build quality, finish and look of the WF-502Bs is superior, however this is not a bad light either. id much rather recommend sku.16179

when you receive your light, disassemble it completely and blow out any metal filings, check to see that all of the O-rings are there, and grease the threads and O-rings lightly with dialectric grease.

mine was missing one O-ring on the barrel, i simply replaced it with a GITD one (sku.03449). when first disassembling the light for cleaning/greasing threads i also replaced the mushy black clicky button with sku.5714 (you can use any 14mm tailcap). the replacement tailcaps have a little nub on the inside of the button, for some flashlights - including this one - that needs to be cut off. just turn the cap inside out and use a sharp knife. i only cut about 2/3 of mine off and it gave a nice solid feel to the clicky and looks and works way better than the standard one.

Bottomline:

Its a good light, but there are better lights in its price range to be had here if you look around.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections