Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Overall great little gadget!

posted by eatoman on 02/06/2013
    2 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Great price compared to ATV2
    - Plug and Play
    - Lots of connectivity options (4 USB and SD card)
    - XBMC!! Nuf said!

Cons:

- Flimsy remote
    - Google Play Store does not launch?

OtherThoughts:

Overall I'm quite satisfied with this android box. So far I have not been able to connect to Google Play Store...the app launches and crashes a second later. Perhaps it's just a setting in "Accounts & Sync" which I may have overlooked. The remote control is ok. You still have to plug in a usb or keyboard to get through the setup procedure. The wifi connection is great. After using it last night for several hours the connection didn't drop once. Mind you, my router is only a few feet away from the device, I have not yet tried to operate it from a greater distance, say another floor in the home. With the original firmware, and the latest XBMC XAF build installed, it runs great! I tested a few HD movies and they run smoothly. The only lag or choppiness I experienced was playing HD movies with Navi-X.

Bottomline:

So after day 1 of owning this device I'm quite satisfied. There is still plenty of testing left to be done, such as getting Google Play Store to work, and testing the wifi connection from another floor. Perhaps a firmware upgrade (G-Box Midnight 2.2) may help with the lag of HD video in Navi-X...if not I may try installing Static's barebone build (as mentioned in a previous post) or J1nx's Linux build. I also want to test out video playback from USB and SD card. Do yourself a favor and purchase an airmouse. Navigating through XBMC and the android menus with the generic remote is ok, but typing and browsing the web is just tedious! I ordered the airmouse with built-in keyboard for android which plugs in via USB dongle and it works great! I'll re-post an update in the weeks to come.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections