Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• This is scary

posted by GeekfromNorway on 07/28/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

A very easy to use tool.

Cons:

I'm not that impressed by the build-quality. It won't fall apart on you, but the slack in the button on the side of the handle doesn't impress. Also, the sleeve is slightly too short, so you have to press the button and compress the tool to make it fit.

OtherThoughts:

My previous experience with these tools is a 30-second test of one at the 'Lockpicking village' during the HackCon security conference this year.

(I used it to pick a tubular lock affixed to a video projector. Won a handcuff key for my efforts )

Anyway, with 30seconds of experience with one, I expected it would take some time to pick a 'good' lock, so colour me surprised when I used less than 5 seconds to pick a Kensington Microsaver lock from the office.

Bottomline:

I bought it to test locks at the office(One of my responsibilities is data security.) and if you have similar responsibilities, don't hesitate. You can't find a cheaper tool anywhere.

You may end up costing your company a lot of money, replacing locks that aren't as secure as you thought, though.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections