DX » Community » Reviews » PIR Motion Activated White LED Night Light (4*AA)
  • 5 star 19 ( 90% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 5% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 5% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Undoubtedly the best PIR motion activated light!

posted by dexuser on 11/20/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Extremely energy efficient(uses only one LED but VERY bright)
    - Uses 4 AA batteries, which means longer working life, without constantly having to open it up to change exhausted batteries
    - The set that I received has a internal timer of approximately 17 seconds of illuminating time before the light automatically starts to fade out, which I find is perfect for most situations - most PIR lights have too short an illuminating time duration and they don't even fade out, plunging you into darkness all of a sudden when the LED goes off. The ability to fade out gradually is really the star feature in this model.
    - Very wide angle of light. It is able to illuminate my entire room, thanks to the silver reflector.
    - The motion sensor is really very sensitive and able to easily detect my movements from 6 metres away infront of it. I suspect it can even detect movements from a distance further than 6 meters, although I have not tested that yet.
    - The single white LED bulb is unusually bright for a single LED. I'm not sure if it is a Nichia LED bulb, but it definitely is much brighter than the ones you find in most cheapo single-LED torches.
    - It has a mounting hole at the back of the unit for you to hang it on the wall(like how you hang a wall clock)
    - Build quality is very good. Once you put it your batteries, the unit will have a sturdy solid weight to it and that helps to make it very stable to place on most surfaces without fear of it falling over or anything like that.

Cons:

- None. If I have to find fault with such an excellent PIR light at this price, I am being unreasonable.

OtherThoughts:

Although I use this light indoors mainly, I may also consider taking it with me should I have a camping trip outdoors, or any outdoor activities like that. This light should come in very useful in a tent, switching itself on when someone enters, for example. Or to light up certain areas in the park or the garden during a BBQ party.
    One word of advice - if you want to use this unit outdoors, I would suggest that you seal it in a transparent plastic bag, to make it water-proof and weather-proof.

Bottomline:

Look no further, this is undoubtedly the best single-LED PIR motion-activated light out there that is the most energy efficient and that probably also gives you the longest working lifespan from a set of 4AA battries(as stated by another reviewer below, whose unit lasted 18 months using low-discharge rechargeable battries).

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections