DX » Community » Reviews » ELM327 v1.5b Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle
  • 5 star 21 ( 41% )
  • 4 star 27 ( 53% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 1 star 1 ( 2% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Working great, good price

posted by Constantinus on 12/17/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Relatively cheap and working well. Has Bluetooth connection, so not only you get an OBD interface, but it is also wireless. Comes with Desktop and PDA software on a mini CD. Build quality seems good, the plastic housing is strong. It works with my European 2004 Corolla.

Cons:

The PDA software cannot connect to it, but maybe it's my fault. The device is on the big side, but it does fit my car. Check the space around your car's OBD connector and remember that this thing's handle part is bigger than the connector part (but the connector is ok) - check the specs and the pictures on DX.

OtherThoughts:

The interface has the ELM327 chip. This means that you don't have to mess with the protocol inside the car's ECU, you can give simple commands to the dongle's ELM chip, and it will talk to the ECU for you. Very convenient. The chip has an actual command interpreter inside, so, if you manage to set up a serial connection to the dongle (through Bluetooth), you can "talk" to it with HyperTerminal. See more details and lots of info on how to "talk to the vehicle" using this product's internal ELM327 chip here: http://www.elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf .

Bottomline:

If you need an OBD 2 interface, buy it. It's more expensive elsewhere. I would have actually preferred to have a cable to it (easier for development) but Bluetooth is more elegant. It does have a miniUSB connector, maybe I can use it for wired connection.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections