Customer’s impression:
good
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Make any HDMI tv smart at low cost

posted by DrWho198 on 03/14/2013
    9 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

The dongle works nice and fast out of the box. For most people it'll be perfect without any mods and you have yourself a portable media center at a low cost. Play store works very well and it is preinstalled with a nice version of youtube.
    You can use the OTG port as extra USB port for most devices(not everything works in this port though)

Cons:

Please take note that these 'CONS' are quite normal and that not everyone will need them:
    - The USB port works great but for some devices like external HDD's it provides not enough power(this should be fixable with a externally powered USB-hub)
    - Its not rooted, if you don't know what rooting is then you probably won't need it.
    - It has no power button, so you can't turn off the device safly... if uncarefull this might brick your device.
    - if you use the airmouse then you might get poor WIFI performance. The airmouse dongle interferes wifi reception. This can be helped by not directly plugging the dongle in the device so it's a little bit further away. I use the otg with adaptor for this.

OtherThoughts:

The dongle I got was the original MK808B.
    - I installed the Finless 1.7 rom on it and it works great. Finless provides me with a software power off feature much like the one you used to have in windows XP. It will make your device go to sleep after which you can pull the plug safely. - If your MK808b stops booting up you should try to reflash it to either the original or a custom rom. It'll probably fix you device.

Bottomline:

I'm happy I bought this device, after updating it with Finless 1.7 I now do anything I want with it.

• Inside MK808b
    • Close-up PCB 1
    • Close-up PCB 2

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections