DX » Community » Reviews » Key Shape High Speed USB 2.0 Flash / Jump Drive - Black (8GB)
  • 5 star 2 ( 67% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 33% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Just received it

posted by Robin95 on 04/22/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

* It looks nice with a kind of black graphite-ish layer.
    * It's very thin. More so than I had anticipated.
    * Flush fitting. Not so tight you really have to push hard, and not so lose than it can fall out of the USB port.
    * Reading speed is higher than reported, with an average of 36 MB/s.
    * If it's on a key chain, you won't notice that it's actually a USB drive until you see the contacts, and even then most people wouldn't recognise it as being one.

Cons:

* Contacts are unprotected, but this was clearly visible on the provided picture and makes it thinner.
    * If it's on your key chain together with other keys, and you stick it in your computer's USB port, it bends.
    * There's a thin line visible on the side (wow, what a disaster, don't you think? :P)
    * It's rather slow (the writing speed is abysmal), but this was reported in the product description. Just though I'd mention it for people who aren't that technical. Copying a movie onto this thing is going to take a really long time.

OtherThoughts:

I ran a benchmark on it. These are the results;
    * Minimum read rate: 21.3 MB/s
    * Maximum read rate: 38.2 MB/s
    * Average read rate: 36.3 MB/s
    * Minimum write rate: 1.2 MB/s
    * Maximum write rate: 14.7 MB/s
    * Average write rate: 2.2 MB/s
    * Average access time: 0.7 ms
    http://i.imgur.com/JhVvHro.png

Bottomline:

It's not expensive, and if you put it on your key chain it doesn't get in the way. If you need a USB drive to put small files on (big ones will take too long to copy) and carry around with you everywhere, this seems like a good choice.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections