Customer’s impression:
Records decent audio but drifts!
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Rather good little recorder for the price

posted by adamoell on 07/09/2014
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

Records WAV files which are easily accessible via USB. Recording from built-in mic is pleasantly clear, and via lapel mic (included - what a bargain!) is not bad at all - clear, with good tone and fidelity. User interface is easy to work with, and the built-in music player function works well - and sounds very good with a decent set of headphones. The tiny built-in speaker is surprisingly good for replaying voice recordings and music - decent volume and clarity for its size.

Cons:

Recordings, both from the built-in microphone and from the lapel microphone, have a small low-frequency 'hum', even when recorded in a quiet environment. This can easily be filtered out using Audacity's noise removal effect or similar, and would certainly not be a problem for voice memos, dictation etc. It is a slight noise, not terribly intrusive but slightly annoying especially for long listening (eg lecture or sermon recordings).

OtherThoughts:

The device is extremely light and compact, would fit happily into a shirt pocket. Size is 82mm by 36mm by 13mm, weight is just 33g on my kitchen scale.

Because the device is intended for recording from microphones, it isn't good for recording from line-level outputs (ie mixing desks, stereo systems or ipods). This isn't really what the device is for, but it will work if you turn the volume of the source down to the minimum - I got good, clear recordings at the minimum output volume, but anything more than that produces horrible distortion/clipping as there is no option to bypass the built-in mic preamp.

Bottomline:

I am very pleased with my purchase so far - it's easier to use and better for voice recordings of public speaking than my old Zoom Micro BR. It's a shame about the little hum, but I still feel that this gadget is a very good bargain!

• Fits comfortably into the palm of your hand!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections