DX » Community » Reviews » Pro Mini Microcontroller Circuit Board for Arduino (5V / 16MHz)
  • 5 star 8 ( 62% )
  • 4 star 5 ( 38% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• wrong voltage 3.3v not 5v

posted by insane2k on 04/20/2013

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- it is really cheap for what it is, and compared to buying something like this locally.
    - it works well
    - no flux, good joints

Cons:

!! this unit appears to be a 3.3V unit that received. while the PCB has 5V on the underside next to the VCC pin. when i supply 9V on the VIN, the regularator is only supplying 3.24V to the 5V pin. the unit is working fine, so either the regulator is wrong or broken, or most likely the PCB print is copy paste from the 5V model.

- came shipped with fixed headers
    - some of the pins are long and short (too much heat has made the pin slip)

OtherThoughts:

im lucky i didnt blow my unit up with the 5V FDTI supplying 5v straight onto the VBUS pin. i was using a voltage divider to measure a battery with the arduino and the calculations werent coming out correctly - stumped me for a day until i checked the voltage.

*** before you use your unit, power it with 9V on the VIN and GND, then measure the 5V pin and check its supplying 5V or 3.3V.

Bottomline:

my unit worked on 5V, but would have likely blown quickly if i didnt pick this up.

im happy to keep, just pitty there isnt better QA at DX to stop this.

the only flaw with this item is the 5V label on its belly - pending further research on the regulater and amtel chip.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections