DX » Community » Reviews » SingFire SF-536 Cree XM-L T6 800lm 3-Mode White Zooming Headlamp - Black + Silver (2 x 18650)
  • 5 star 4 ( 40% )
  • 4 star 6 ( 60% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great Wide mode, and Zoom

posted by rfdude on 03/02/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Appears to be of a higher quality caliber. Well balanced. Fits well. Easy to operate light switch, adjustable angle and zoom. Very wide and consistent light across the spot. No dark spots or rings when in the wide mode. Best Suited for close-in work (which is why a headlamp is usually needed). Long throw zoom is available if required.

Cons:

No reflector to provide a bright and tight long throw zoom. Brightness of zoom is consistent with the $12 zoom flashlights available on this site. The square LED die gets focused and projected by the collimator lens, not a reflector, so some light is lost. A Cree T6 flashlight with a reflector will be much brighter than this headlamp in its most narrow zoom.

The black battery compartment snaps are molded plastic folding hinges. The 4 hinges appear white due to the folding, so I'm expecting that with repeated opeartion, they could suffer fatigue and tear at some point. Best to leave the batteries in place and charge them with the supplied charger. Not waterproof.

OtherThoughts:

At 5 meters in the most narrow spot mode, it is 280 Lux and a 75 cm wide square. At low power mode, the brightness drops to 156 Lux.

At 1 meter at high power and using the widest zoom, it is 89 Lux. Low power is 45 Lux. Consistent brightness across the wide spot.

The low mode seems to be half power brightness. From my eye, I thought I'd prefer a 25-33% brightness level to prolong battery life where required, or a third low setting. However, 2 x 18650 battery probably make this a mute point.

Bottomline:

Appears to be best value for a universal headlight that is best suited as a close-in work light, but still has a reasonable long throw when required.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections