• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good, but not so bright as I expected

posted by Delco on 05/29/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

The overall quality is good. In fact, Yongnuo has a good finish on each component: the CT filters, the mini base, the handle, the hot shoe knob, including the provided remote control and the reflector itself. There are 15 levels of brightness you can set by pressing [-] or [+] rear buttons on in the remote control. There are five red leds on rear that can be used to show your battery level (in increments of 20%). The same button you activate this battery power-check-test is declared in user manual that could be used to put this SKU in 'automatic bright mode' receiving configuration parameters from your attached camera, but I not tested. I tested using six fresh new Duracell 'AA' size batteries (I have no Panasonic batteries). The slightly deep on/off button avoid mistakes of turning off or on accidentally.

Cons:

I've tested in completely dark and mid-bright rooms (enough illuminated, I mean). The provided leds in this SKU are common leds - not the ultra brilliant leds as provided by 'Cree' manufacturer. Then, I could say that I have some rechargeable flashlights with 14 Cree-type-similar leds thar are almost brilliant as this Yongnuo with 160 common leds. Considering this, I'm disappointed, because this Yongnuo SKU is very expensive. I was planning to use it in my dSLR hotshoe, but I just changed my mind.

OtherThoughts:

If you are planning to use this SKU to illuminate one single face as far as 1,5 meter using low ISO (I mean 100-200), I could say is enough. But, if you are planning to illuminate 3 faces or an entire body, you'll need to increase your ISO. Due to its flat size, some parts of body or people in borders could not be correclty illuminated. I thik is better to use this SKU to achieve special effects, like cutted light on body; to enforce some body detail or to create a hair back light, as examples. I'm planning to use it in this way. Do not expect a miracle in light powering with this SKU. Other remark: when I tested with my AA rechargeable Kodak batteries it not turned on. I think there's a matter on the size since I noted a very small button that I guess should be pressed under the very first AA battery (acting as off-on switch) to 'activate' the overall power usage. The user manual don't talk about this, and I'm guessing. It worked only when I inserted a 'standard' size AA Duracell set.

Bottomline:

The provided CT filters will slightly scratch exaclty on the midle since you insert them in the planned side hole, due to the presence of the rebound support for the right-hand barndoor. I knew (and comproved this) before I insert, bu checking the flat hole. In fact, the CT scracthed. I tested only the provided blue CT, and I found no strong blue illumination as I expected when in use, to create an blue light effect - just your taste.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections