DX » Community » Reviews » 3.5" Front Chassis Bay Embedded SDHC MS/SD/MMC/TF/M2 Card Reader with USB Port
  • 5 star 22 ( 58% )
  • 4 star 13 ( 34% )
  • 3 star 3 ( 8% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Cheap functional card reader

posted by ZKKMan on 09/14/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Fits neatly into an unused floppy-disk bay. Installation is simple if your motherboard has a USB2 header within reach.
    Nicely packaged and labelled in English.
    Discreet black bezel.
    Showed up correctly under Ubuntu Linux, when attached to an Intel motherboard. Reads/writes both USB and memory card media.
    Competitively priced: I have seen identical items, identically packaged, at the local computer shops (in Belgium) for 5 to 6 times the DX price.

Cons:

The four mounting screws supplied with my unit were too thin to reliably catch the edges of the screw-holes in the plastic walls of the device. I simply replaced them with standard coarse-thread PC screws, which self-tapped and hold securely.
    The cable for connecting the unit to the motherboard header is not very long.
    The orange power LED might not be to everyone's taste, but is easily covered, if necessary.

OtherThoughts:

I am pleased with the convenience of this device - there will be no more hunting around the house to find my card-reader and its cable, now that I have a dedicated reader integrated into the computer's case.
    As with any card-reader, you need to look carefully to make sure the cards are inserted in the correct orientation - if you have to force anything, you probably have it upside-down.

Bottomline:

Astounding functionality for the price. I am sorry I didn't order a few more, so that each PC in the house could have one.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections