• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great Backup Firestarter For The Price

posted by Krizalid on 05/19/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Works well, generates a nice shower of sparks when struck properly. I was able to get several different tinder going. Very lightweight, and easy to pack.

Cons:

A little lighter in quality, compared to higher-priced flints, but acceptable for the price.

The striker tool needed to to filed a little, to expose more metal. Can easily be replaced with a cheap knife.

OtherThoughts:

This is a backup to my backup firestarters. Matches and lighters are my primary firestarters, a fire piston with char cloth and a magnesium block with a flint are my first backups. This is certainly a better firestarter than having to improvise something on-site, and fits perfectly in my toiletries bag. I've successfully used it as a signal, before sunrise.

Bottomline:

It's a modest firestarter at an exceptionally low price. Although I feel better knowing I have better alternatives, this is a better option than nothing at all. Since it's so inexpensive, I also won't hesitate to use it more frequently, if it isn't an emergency.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections