DX » Community » Reviews » FiiO E5 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (Black)
  • 5 star 28 ( 72% )
  • 4 star 11 ( 28% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great portable amp

posted by 7hirteen on 01/26/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

It has so many more features than the Fiio E3.

Rechargeable is a huge plus.

Bass boost is much better than I thought it would be. Normally I wouldn't touch it as usually bass boosts are totally overdone and excessive and I'm a fan of running things flat, but it's pretty subtle and could be helpful depending on your headphones and source.

You can connect it to a line out source and control the volume with the amp if you choose to, which makes for a potentially compact headphone rig.

The case and amp layout it nice. I took it apart shortly after receiving it to see what it was like. The spring clip spring is a bit finicky to put back in place FYI.

Cons:

The volume down button is too close to the headphone jack which makes it a little tough to press. It's something you get used to but at first it can be a little finicky.

No way to tell battery level (wouldn't expect that from a $20 amp though).

Noise floor seems to be a tad better than the E3, but not by too much. That's a tough goal to accomplish for under 20 bucks though.

OtherThoughts:

Tests were done mainly with Grado SR-60 headphones on a variety of sources - computer with stock sound from an Asus P5QL Pro mobo, iPod classic, and a dedicated NAD CD player (rca line out).

Bottomline:

Pretty much a full featured E3 in a better casing. I'd say if you're on a low budget pick this one up instead of the E3 since you'll go through tons of batteries with the E3. It also accepts a lot less interference - anyone who has had a cell phone ring near them when listening to an E3 can vouch for that. With a blackberry attached to me 24/7 that rings constantly this was slightly important.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections