Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Better than nothing at least...

posted by Orky86 on 03/02/2013
    8 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

+ It actually records what happens in front of it.
    + No matter what settings I use it records in segments of 30 seconds. There is a delay of 1 second between each file. (the shared pro/con is that my old one had a 5 second delay between each 2 min file. I rather spread the 5 seconds in smaller pieces. More serious things can be missed during a 5 second blackout)

Cons:

- No matter what settings I use it records in segments of 30 seconds. There is a delay of 1 second between each file. (the shared pro/con is that my old one had a 5 second delay between each 2 min file. I rather spread the 5 seconds in smaller pieces. More serious things can be missed during a 5 second blackout)
    - The screen on mine had fingerprins and tape on it.
    - The plastic lens wasn't molded correctly, it is actually curved inwards in the middle!
    - Not sharp, no point in recording in 720p since it won't resolve that much details.

OtherThoughts:

I had another 30 dollar camera before that I was very happy with, unfortunately it was totally dead one day when I tried to use it. And it was also out of stock here on DX, so I tried to find a similiar camera.

The good thing is that this camera is powered by USB Mini, so I could reuse my old power cable and camera mount.

Bottomline:

It gives me some safety, since it actually records what happens in front of me while driving, so it does what it is supposed to do. But you can't read license plated more than 3 feet/1m in front of your car. Traffic signs no more than 25 feet/5m away from car.

While it ain't detailed, it at least lets you get a general idea of any situation/accident that happens. I think my insurance company would find a video from the camera helpful.

• Testing the dash cam.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections