DX » Community » Reviews » Microwave Potato Chips Maker with Slicer Complete Set - Large
  • 5 star 17 ( 44% )
  • 4 star 17 ( 44% )
  • 3 star 4 ( 10% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 3% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice product but not very convenient

posted by rastoma1 on 01/18/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

The build quality seems to be very good. The tray to hold the slices is from a sturdy molded plastic. The slicer is VERY sharp.

Cons:

No English on the box anywhere. I don't know if there are instructions in Chinese on the box but definitely no English instructions. Of course no instructions are needed on how to slice a potato and place the slices in the slots, but it would be nice to have a guide on microwave cooking times such as recommended times and wattage settings.

OtherThoughts:

I have been very intrigued by the original potato chip maker that DX has. When this larger version came out I decided to finally get it. I have not been able to make a GOOD crispy potato chip YET. I have tried as long as 8 minutes cooking and only the edges get somewhat crispy (but still not the texture of a 'chip'). I am not sure what wattage my microwave is but it is just a couple of years old.

Also the holder that is included to hold the potato while slicing is useless. Do not let kids use this product. I sliced a DEEP cut on a finger after my hand slipped. It's not really a dangerous product but just needs extra attention when using. I was anxious and was trying to slice too FAST.

Bottomline:

I know people have gotten excellent results with the smaller version and I'm sure this one will too once I figure out exactly how long they need to cook. I still feel this is a product worth buying. But the results are going to vary due to all the different makes of microwaves and their cooking tendencies.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections