Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Simple tool that just works

posted by billlee on 11/23/2010
    2 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

• Unlike plastic spudger tools, it won't easily snap its tip off if you use too much force.
    • Unlike knife blades, there is only a short 10mm wide sharp edge you need to watch out for cutting injuries
    • The arc shaped tip will help prevent marring plastic that you might be levering against. Using a standard screwdriver will likely cause such marks, but the curve of the arc at the tip of the spudger reduces this.

Cons:

Unlike plastic spudger tools, it won't easily snap its tip off if you use too much force, and so you might damage the thing you're trying to open. The tip is little bit sharp out of the box for my liking, but that can easily be fixed with a fine sharpening stone to round off the sharp edge.

OtherThoughts:

The thickness of the stainless steel blade is 1.1mm (0.044"), but tapers down to a sharp edge, arc shaped, at the tip. The sharpened edge can cut paper if used as a knife. You can see where the taper starts on the pictures above. The flattened arc of the tip is 9.8mm (3/8") wide. It seems sturdy and has been used to open IR remote controls by me. The tips are polished stainless, so used properly you shouldn't get ugly marks at the corners where the edge of the tool is if you are opening plastic devices, and the sharp edge should get into crevices that a standard screwdriver won't.

Bottomline:

If you have to open watches that have rear covers that pop off (and don't screw on), or have remote controls that need opening up to clean up the contacts, then this is the tool for you. I haven't tried opening up an iPod, but it will be the first tool I reach for. Some large remotes might need two of these to keep the plastic catches disengaged while you work around the joint line.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections