DX » Community » Reviews » DIY 10W 6000K 1050lm White Light COB LED Module (12~14V)
  • 5 star 3 ( 60% )
  • 4 star 2 ( 40% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Really excellent value

posted by AlphageekYVR on 05/01/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

This thing is as bright as advertised, and lemme tell you, that is BRIGHT! I accidentally looked at it for a split second and I had retina burn for 5 minutes. Seriously, it is so bright, that for my application (above bed reading light) I had to insert a 2W 30 ohm resistor in series to bring the luminosity down.

Cons:

Really, none but I would have like better terminations for the power leads. I suspect the pads (gold-plated!) on the strip (on both ends) are meant for a special connector and you have to solder VERY carefully or you'll short the power out to the aluminum backing.

OtherThoughts:

Contrary to what others have posted about these strips (there are quite a few for sale here on DX or varying sizes and specifications) these are "LED modules" and have a built-in current limiting resistor so they can be driven directly (they're 12v so that should tell you something). Consider carefully your choice in brightness on these (lumens) as I opted for too bright. A typical 60watt incandescent puts out about 800-850 lumens, BUT that's in a near-spherical light-cast. This means, that because this is a strip, it is much more directional and you get (for this one) 1000+ lumens radiated to a much smaller volume than an incandescent bulb of similar luminosity.

I have also affixed a small strip aluminum heatsink to the aluminum backing as this thing gets very hot quick quickly.

Bottomline:

These things are awesome for general lighting applications.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections