DX » Community » Reviews » CCTV via Cat-5 Twisted Pair Audio/Video/Power Balun Transceivers (Pair)
  • 5 star 4 ( 80% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 20% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Security Camera Baluns handy

posted by Criggie on 05/25/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

I've used these things to put security cameras around my house. Using these means I can get away with running a single cat5 cable which is a lot cheaper than a coax + two power leads.

These also support Audio but I don't record that.

Cons:

They're a little bulkier than others, but these ones work well.

The wire in the power lead could be thicker - I've had to snip and bare a couple to connect to older cameras with those cable gripper connectors, instead of power sockets.

I'm pretty sure these add a bit of noise to the image, but they don't make it fuzzier or anything.

OtherThoughts:

They're actually reversible - you can use two output ends or two input ends together, if you want to hack something together.

I've also used structured cabling to patch a camera through the house. Works well.

Joiners or poor-quality cabling make these work worse, so use decent cat5 and terminate them well. No need for cat6.

I have a single 5 A 12V power supply that runs 6 cameras without issue, throgh a couple of splitters.

Bottomline:

Flexible and convenient for cameras.

You'll also want a stack of adapters, like BNC/RCA (both ways around, and both available on trademe)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections