Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• An updated review

posted by TheLivingOne on 06/29/2009
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Cool design, very small and light, handy, like a flash drive stick.

Plug and play, no specific driver required.

Works with Windows XP and Linux with either ALSA and OSS 4 drivers.

Costs peanuts.

Cons:

Sound quality is bad, there's no any hum but the sound is distorted, especially at high levels. At low levels it's noticeably better but still far from hi-fi.

Volume control works in a bad way, sound is very loud through all range of the slider and becomes quieter only at the low few pixels. Like it's exponential instead of logarithmic :) Not possible to set exact volume you want.

Reported to be not compatible with Mac OS (by other users).

Did not work for me when connected via a USB hub, the sound crackles like hell.

OtherThoughts:

Of course it's not 5.1, it's an ordinary stereo card. Such cards are usually shipped with a software driver which simulates 3D sounding via 2 channels, but this card is not shipped with a driver CD at all.

Bottomline:

Can be bought for use anywhere where sound quality isn't important: as a backup card, for system notifications, maybe for VoIP. For listening to music or having 5.1 sound add some money and get a "real" card, maybe sku.15746 — I didn't heard that one myself yet but the reviews aren't bad.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections