DX » Community » Reviews » Steering Wheel Mount A2DP Bluetooth Caller ID Handsfree + MP3 Player FM Transmitter (SD/USB)
  • 5 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Very disappointing...

posted by samsam on 05/28/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

The item has a good feel about it, a bit of weight, sturdy in build, about the size of decent banana, and had a slightly grippy feel to the plastic.

The screen is clear enough, and each button has a very positive and audible click.

Sound quality is very good. The speakers put enough out to comfortably be heard in a large open room. When taking a call you can rest assured that the person on the other end will be able to hear you well.

The FM transmitter has a full frequency spectrum with 0.1MHz graduations.

It seems to be capable of handling a 4 gig memory stick without any issues, though any songs with a low bit rate such as below 128 are likely to sound like a TV drowning.

The SD/MMC bay is a spring-latch.

The instructions are unusually clear. You find yourself reading them for the information more than the humorous ‘Chinglish’.

Pairing your Bluetooth device is particularly easy to do.

Unfortunately, that’s where the good points run out.

Cons:

There is no way to fast forward or rewind. There is no random play, repeat or A-B repeat mode. The random function would have been a good idea when you consider the following points:

You cannot scroll through tracks quicker than about 1 track per second. An absolute killer when you have 500 tracks on your memory stick.

For the love of beer I just cannot get this thing to display song names or the device it’s reading from.

The battery dies quickly (within I hours use). I decided to do an over-night charge using my PC’s front USB port, this seems to have extended its longevity no end.

Also, it does not play SD adapted cards. While the player acknowledges that there is media there it just won’t play it. Instead it cycles through each track as if it’s trying to play each one but gives up.

Keep any tracks in folders and the player will not recognise them. I know – how can something so basic as music in a folder not be catered for!? Is this item starting to go down in your estimation? Yeah, mine too.

OtherThoughts:

When listening to music and you receive a call, the music will stop and the call will come through your car’s speakers. However, when the call has ended the music starts from the beginning of the track!

It’s so slow! The general operation is unbearably slow. To turn on, turn off, go to song mode, turning the volume up/down requires the use of the second functions on the buttons. This means that it’s the old hold and wait trick – especially with the volume.

Temperamental! I swear there’s a miniature Chinese monkey in this thing that has the job of deciding when it’ll allow my SD card to play! Sometimes it does, sometimes it’ll cycle through each track with that 1 track per second routine, other times I think that monkey is asleep and has missed me sticking in the card! Arrrrghh!

EDIT: Now it won’t play SD cards at all!

Bottomline:

The quality of sound and the fact that it has feedback in the form of a female voice is cool. However, it lets itself down in so many ways.

This item is priced at the higher end of the range and as such should have more.

I would expect something that:

- Isn’t as temperamental [Edit: Something that works].

- Allows you to skip through tracks quicker.

- Something that plays adapted cards.

- Doesn’t resume a track from the beginning after a call.

- Has more than 4 rocker buttons and doesn’t rely so heavily on second functions.

- Has random, repeat, or A-B repeat modes.

- Allows you to play folders of music.

- Shows the name of a song instead of just a song number.

- Shows the device it’s reading from.

- Something that is generally quicker.

What it lacks are really things that come with most FM transmitter and Mp3 players.

I would not recommend this item. What you get is still far from coming close to justifying £32.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections