Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Great cheap travel adapter

posted by kenmcfa on 08/15/2013
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Adapts anything to anything else, a truly universal adapter.

Surge protected for your safety.

Cheap!

The bottom has a UK-style 3-prong plug, with a powerful spring loaded catch. Once deployed you can lock the metal pins in place. The middle prong (earth) is plastic as this is not designed for earthed appliances. As such it is lower quality and can still move a bit when plugged in.

The middle has a European-style two-prong adapter. This does not lock in place, but does not seem like this could cause harm.

Then at the top there is another spring-loaded set of prongs, two of them this time. Deploy and lock it and you get a US-style plug (compatible with Japanese sockets too). But wait, there's more! These prongs can turn, allowing you to turn it into an Australian adapter. Bonzer! The label on this part also says Thai, but I'm not familiar with Thai plugs so I can't comment on how well that would work.

Cons:

Very little to complain about. Whatever configuration you've got it in it will probably wobble a little bit. But the prongs will stay properly in the socket, so it's perfectly safe.

My biggest gripe was that it came without any packaging (as in it arrived in my house on its own in the standard DX padded envelope). I saulte the eco-friendliness of this, but DX had stuck two stickers directly on the adapter (presumably for organising their warehouse). These were difficult to peel off without ripping and leaving little bits of paper behind, and left a sticky residue.

Due to the nature of differing standards, it's unearthed (UK plugs require something in the earth pin location, so a plastic pin is included). You shouldn't use any appliance with this which is meant to be earthed. I wasn't planning to, but it should be noted.

OtherThoughts:

I've seen a couple of complaints in the reviews that this doesn't convert the voltage. Well guess what? IT ISN'T MEANT TO. This is a plug adapter, not a step-up or step-down converter.

I also saw at least one review saying that the euro plug was not protected. Mine was (small bits of plastic coating the bottom of each pin), so I guess the manufacturers are improving!

Bottomline:

A great buy! Great for travelling anywhere in the world and plugging your chargers into! Just make sure that whatever you're using is compatible with the voltage of the country you're travelling to. Bon voyage!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections