Customer’s impression:
Nice Quality Extra
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Macro rings

posted by EnnaN on 02/26/2008
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Price:
    The rings are very cheap, as opposed to the full-feature rings you can get in the aftermarket. Even taken the fact that there are some differences maybe (see Cons) this is not a real problem in most cases.

Cons:

- no autofocus

- no diaphragm adaption. (always full open)

- Locking of the lens feels a bit fragile.

- Overall it feels a bit fragile. At first i thought it was plastic. It looks like all metal though, but it doesn't feel like you want to throw it around

- no covers, so it might get some dust inside.

OtherThoughts:

Although there is a lot of text in the "cons" area, don't let that put you off. If you're shooting macro, you don't want moving subjects anyway (DOF of a couple of millimeters), so manual focus should be no problem.

The only problem is had was that my 50mm f/1.8 would shoot at f/1.8 (full diaphragm) so the DOF was really small. Sollution: use my zoomlens that also 'reaches' 50mm, but then at f/4. problem solved :)

Fragility just means you shouldn't throw with it.

As said: the other alternative would be a full-cost aftermarket set of Canon rings. Those are a completely different product, and while they maybe good for some purposes, these will do just a well.

Bottomline:

You want this. No really, you do.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections