Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Nice bicycle headlight (etc.)

posted by normofthenorth on 07/07/2011
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Very light and comfy. Pretty bright, esp. first two modes (steady on & all flash). Great battery life so far, probably better with the other ("hunting") modes, which aren't as bright.

I've found the fit very tight for AAA NiMH cells, but not impossible.

When I wear this for night bicycling in the city in "all flash" ("strobe") mode, I get ALMOST TOO MUCH RESPECT! People see me coming and get out of the way as if a transport trailer was coming! Kewl!

Cons:

Build quality is cheap, and battery fit is extremely tight. After a while the center cell started popping out when I went over bumps. I was thinking of sticking some closed-cell foam inside the case to keep it in, but after I bent the contact clips a bit, it's staying in now.

The seven modes are a nuisance, but I can live with it.

Unlike some other "head lamps", there's no hinge gizmo to adjust the light angle. Obviously you can mount it on different spots (e.g. on my bike helmet), but that's it. Fortunately, it's pre-aimed in a reasonable direction.

OtherThoughts:

I've tried?used several other kinds of lights on my head and bike helmet, and this one is my fave. Unlike the "cap lights", it uses rechargeable (NimH) AAAs, and isn't much bigger and heavier. Unlike the (common) fatter head-lamp with the three-strap head strap and the 3-battery cartridge inside, this is smaller and lighter and more comfortable.

My wife has a similar light she paid good money for (~$30) ~ a year ago. Its only flashing/strobe mode is very slow, and I don't like it as much for cycling. Same non-hinged mount, with a magnet that gets buried inside when you mount the head strap.

Bottomline:

I like it, and its my current fave head/helmet lamp ever for night bicycling! Cheap construction may take some care or even some modding over time.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections