• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• USB-RS232 adapter review

posted by 00008 on 07/07/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

PCB can be easily shifted out of the enclosure, so it is easy to access its inner electronics (this is handy for those people that build their own electronic "things") Still it is sturdy enough for those people that don't want to do electronics and just want a workin USB-RS232 converter

All lines from the RS232 connector are connected to a PCB trace. This might mean handshaking is possible (but I didn't test that)

The thing is actually working (at this price!) and seems to be soldered lead-free (or has a lot of cold joints, but as it is working I suppose it is lead-free)

Tested it under Ubuntu (no driver needed, max speed 115200 baud, found working) and Windows XP(driver is on the cd that came with it, just insert the cd in the drive and let windows install drivers automatically). Haven't tested Win7 yet.

Cons:

It is a bit dusty, some dirt on the connectors etc.

The cable that came with it is absolutely rubbish. It is to cheaply made, to thin and probably no shielding. Maybe even no wires at all in it... I would rather haven't got any cable with it, these useless cables aren't helping the environment... wasted resources etc...

(I seem to need 1000 characters of cons, but there is no more cons... I have just recieved and tested the thing and it is working fine and doesn't smell or something)

OtherThoughts:

Its the cheapest, and it works excellent under Linux! (And windows). It might even do handshaking! What else you want? Yeah, no cable... Or a better one...

Bottomline:

If you need a USB-rs232 bridge, then buy this one. It works under Linux and its housing can easily be opened, besides it is the cheapest on DX. But don't expect the cable supplied with it to work... (I didn't expect to receive a cable with it, so no problem for me)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections