DX » Community » Reviews » MagicShine HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set
  • 5 star 26 ( 70% )
  • 4 star 10 ( 27% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 1 ( 3% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• best for this price

posted by iancalderbank on 09/07/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

I use this for mtb'ing through the woods in the evening now that its autumn here in the UK its dark. This thing is like the xenon's on my audi (ok well maybe not quite...but close). I can do just as quick as I can in the day, through twisty woodland, with one of these on the bars an a P7 torch on my helmet.

I rode with it in the pouring rain the other day, no problems with waterproofing.

Cons:

its like a car headlamp on high beam. If you have it on full in the rain - it will reflect off the rain and dazzle you. But thats really a pro, because its so bright.

The O-ring mount so far has shown no sign of slipping,even taking some gnarly tracks with at least one wet-tree root wipeout (sideways rather than over the front). But I expect the o-ring will break at some point, then I will have to find another from somewhere. Nice if there was a spare in the pack.

The mount is really handlebar only.

OtherThoughts:

I put it on the lowest setting for riding on the road towards the woods, it seems to not be too annoying for drivers.

The battery pack has a velcro wrap which is big enough even for a fat mtb top tube. It has buckles as well, but no strap is provided. I put a cable tie through the buckles around the top tube as well, as an insurance against the velcro coming away.

There have been some comments about build quality on other boards, but it seems fine to me (as someone who doesn't take these things to bits, I just used them).

Bottomline:

I looked at all the brand name competition, nite rider etc, in this price bracket, nothing comes close on brightness and duration. Combine it with a P7 torch (sku 12623) on your head (this particular light doesn't have a head mounting solution but is great on the bars) and you have a perfect low cost MTB night riding rig.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections