• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Pumps out 1.1A! Very bright but only 80% efficient

posted by desolder on 01/14/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This driver is pumping out 1.1A on high, so it's good for maximizing the brightness of single die LED's like the P4 and XRE/XPG. I am using it with 4AA, and the regulation is ruler flat from 6V to 4V.
    Cheep cheep driver... under $3... gotta love that.
    Be careful which SKU you order. There are four versions of this driver, the only difference is the UI: 3 or 5 modes, with and without memory. Choice is always good.
    I prefer drivers with only a few modes, and no memory, so I really want to like this driver but...

Cons:

The measured efficiency is only 80%. This is pretty low for a buck regulator. The Zetex based driver (sku.3256) is 95% efficient, however it is only one mode. The only other multi-mode driver suitable for 4 to 6 AA is sku.7425, and that only pumps out 800ma and is only slightly more efficient at 85%.
    For comparison, a linear mode driver which simply burns off excess voltage as heat (e.g. AMC7135 based sku.6190) will average about 75% efficiency with 4 NIMH AA's (drops 4.8V to 3.6V at 1A)

OtherThoughts:

I separated the two boards and the main IC is marked "LEDA 0712". Switching is handled by a separate N-FET marked "A06". The sense resistor is 0.25 ohms. The inductor is marked "100" - I believe that means 10uH.

Bottomline:

Overall it's a good driver. Get a few for your 4-6 NiMH or 2 Li-ion powered projects.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections