Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Fantastic Device - Small & Robust - But....

posted by XGEOX on 09/22/2009
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

- Amazingly Small Device
    - Great Design
    - Extremely Solid & Robust

Cons:

- Protective Cap Much Larger Than Necessary
    - No Loop/Lanyard Provided
    - Problems With My Macbook (See Below)

OtherThoughts:

I bought three of these devices, using them with 16GB SD cards. They're incredibly convenient and far better than any flash drive. It makes me wonder why manufacturers don't make flash drives/keys this small.
    However, I've noticed that this device gets EXTREMELY hot when plugged into my Macbook.
    Other machines I have used do not cause it to get anywhere near as hot.
    A few weeks after use in my Macbook, the first of the three readers I'd bought died completely.
    I believe it's a direct result of the heat generated during use with the Macbook.
    I've since used the remaining two readers in exclusively Windows machines and have not had any further problems.
    The SD card has not been damaged in any way as a result of the failure of the first reader.
    I don't have another Mac, so cannot see if it's hardware or software related - but the indication is that the way OSX is accessing the drive is causing it to heat up dramatically. Perhaps it's indexing the contents, or in some way continually accessing the drive?

Bottomline:

Fantastic devices, but I've had at least one die on me (from use with my Macbook).
    They do get warm in every computer I've tried, but only in the Macbook do they get severely hot.
    At this price, I'd say just get a load of them and replace as necessary.
    I personally think that the tiny form factor and otherwise excellent build quality makes them worth it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections