DX » Community » Reviews » Ultrafire C3 Stainless Steel Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 190-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500)
  • 5 star 50 ( 81% )
  • 4 star 10 ( 16% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great EDC with two small flaws-but worth the price

posted by Rezolution02 on 05/28/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Very nicely machined

- Excellent quality stainless material

- Nicely sealed to keep out water

- Glow in the dark o-rings are a huge plus

- The fact that it will run on a single AA battery with the buck-boost circuit included is a real plus for me

- Great for and EDC (every day carry) light. Very small form factor fits great in the pocket!

Cons:

- Four small problems with this light

1. As others have mentioned, the modes of the light are Med - Low - High - Strobe - SOS. This is not how it's listed in the description. If this will bother you, don't buy the light because it isn't fixable.

2. The light has no memory. If you leave the light off for more than 5 seconds and then turn it back on, it will always start back up on Med, then cycle to Low - High - Strobe - SOS. If you turn it back on in less than 4 seconds after turning it off, it will simply cycle to the next mode. If this bothers you, don't buy the light, it cannot be fixed.

3. As others have mentioned, sometimes the glow in the dark tail cap is a little bit too long on the inside that contacts the clicky switch. Mine was causing problems with the switch so I had to shave off a small amount with a razor blade. Be careful not to take too much off if you try this...

4. I use the light exclusively with a single AA battery. That's the reason I wanted it (to use it with a single AA NiMh Eneloop). The problem with this is, the light is bored out to accommodate a 14500 LiIon battery as well. The AA battery will not stay centered inside of the light if you tap or bump it in any way and because the driver inside the light is a flat circuit board, the battery can lose contact with the driver. This will cause the light to either turn off or change modes. To remedy this, I took some flux-paste and put it on the center contact of the driver (the part that the positive tip of the AA battery touches). Then I heated it up with my soldering iron and added a small round blob of solder to it. This way, no matter how the battery shifts, it will always stay in contact with the driver.

OtherThoughts:

If you're willing to put the time in (less than 5 minutes) to make this light perfect, it's worth $13. Once you apply the two mods to it that I've mentioned above, you'll never have to worry about the flashlight flickering or misbehaving ever again.

Bottomline:

I would buy 4 of these, apply the tailswitch rubber trim mod, the driver solder blob mod, and then hand them out to members of my family to either carry or keep in their cars. If the lights were going to be sitting for a long time with no use, I'd recommend putting Energizer Lithium Ultimate AA in them. If they're going to be used every day, I'd highly recommend Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMh rechargeables for it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections