Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• My Newest Favorite

posted by FlightInWinter on 07/14/2009
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

All three lights that I purchased were identical in quality and performance which was excellent.

The edges are all smooth and well-finished. The matte finish is consistent with no flaws.

This looks and feels like it should cost more than it does.

I had no flicker or connection problems at all...yet.

The threads were dry but I expected that. O-rings are tight and appear to do a good job of sealing out water, dust, etc. but you might want to lube them a bit to protect them from abrasion. The o-ring around the bezel glows in the dark as do the o-rings on the body which might be helpful if you are changing a battery in the dark...or not. The tail clickie also glows in the dark.

It appears to be water tight but I'm not going to toss it in the pond just to find out. Do it to yours and let me know how that works for you.

Low, Medium and High modes are sufficiently different from one another to make them useful. The high mode rivals sku.13974 but has less of a defined spot and more spill, due to the smaller reflector. The same holds true when compared to sku.14909. In high mode, it is almost identical to sku.25490. Low mode is not as bright as sku.14881 but brighter and more useful than sku.1253.

The memory works well and recalls the last mode you were using when you turned it off, which is handy. Cycling it through the modes is easy with a light touch on the tail clickie. A little annoying to cycle through the strobe and S.O. modes (see Cons below) to get back where you want to be, but you know it has those modes before you buy it so you can't complain, or you could but no one cares.

The lanyard is just the right length. Not too short and not too long. It fits over your wrist like it should and feels strong so if you fall out of your row boat in your pond...let me know how that works for you. :)

The stainless steel feels solid in your hand and the flashlight weighs a bit more than sku.25490 and that is to be expected. The matte finish gives just enough grip and the design enough form to hang on. If it was just a long, shiny, uniform tube, it might be a different story, but the shape and finish are pleasant enough for extended use.

I think you could run over this thing with a truck and not hurt it. It's built solid enough that if you take care of it, it might be the last flashlight you would ever buy...unless you buy more because you like it so much, which is what I did.

Cons:

Strobe mode is fast and annoying as expected. If someone broke into your house and you shined this light in their eyes in strobe mode, they will shoot you and you will deserve it.

My wife's cats were not amused with the strobe, neither were the dogs or the cows out back but it severely irritated my wife and I'm sure she'll get even with me somehow.

S.O.S. mode does not function properly. Instead of signaling S.O.S., the flashlight signals S...O......S...O......S...O..... Must be short hand. It might get someone's attention because it is strange but other than that, S...O..... is worthless and probably wouldn't get you rescued. This was consistent with all three lights that I purchased. I'm not sure if it's a defect or a "feature"

OtherThoughts:

The logo and engraving on the flashlight can be easily removed with a scotch-brite pad, so don't count on it holding up over time but you know what you bought and that's all that matters.

It's a little heavy for EDC but still light enough to put in your pack or glove box or tool box. Belt carry would be nice as it weighs less than my Leatherman.

Bottomline:

I purchased three of these to start with. After examining and working with them for less than thirty minutes, I came back and purchased five more.

That should tell you what you need to do.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections