DX » Community » Reviews » Standalone BitTorrent BT Client + USB/NAS/FTP/SAMBA/Printer/UPNP Sharing Network LAN Server
  • 5 star 29 ( 64% )
  • 4 star 15 ( 33% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good all-in-one NAS box

posted by lee742 on 08/01/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

+ small & cheap, rich in features, easy to use

+ gets the job done

+ default ip address of the web interface and admin id/pw are printed on a label below, so you don't have to dig out the manual

Cons:

- webGUI interface (your only interface to the device) is in CHINESE ONLY. However, if you are familiar with router configuration and such, with a bit of translation (see below), you shouldn't have problem using it

- manual is Chinese only (I didn't have to refer to it at all)

- as expected, the BT function is quite primitive. You cannot download files selectively, no transport encryption, no max active torrent setting, no mad up/download slots, no renaming, etc.

- the LED for the 2 USB ports do not blink to indicate read/write activities

OtherThoughts:

I am going to do this in the order of the options appearing on the webGUI. Hopefully this will help you navigate it and give you an idea on what it can do (if you don't see it listed in the options, it probably can't do that). Some options require a reboot before it is effective (you will get a prompt).

> System Setup

+ Setup Wizard: This automatically runs the first time you use it, you can skip it and manually set up

+ System Information: Shows current name, workgroup, date, IP address, how long it had been running, cpu utilisation, firmware version

+ System Name: Choose a name for it (default "NAS")

+ Admin Account: Choose name and password for administrator account

+ Language for Filenames: Most FTP clients cannot support unicode, if you have files with non-English filenames, this tells it which language should be used (English, West European, East European, Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Thai, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean). I find that even with this setting, files uploaded/downloaded via FTP can still get the names corrupted if the target and source PCs have different language setting.

+ Date & Time: Select timezone, date, time, clock server (default clock.isc.org)

> Network Setup

+ IP Address: Get from DHCP or set your own static address

+ DHCP: This NAS can act as a DHCP server (default off)

+ DDNS: It can log you in to a dynamic DNS service. I just let my router do that.

> Sharing: This is for setting up Samba server for file sharing in your LAN. Windows can then map network drive to the NAS to access the files. I have not tested on Linux. Note that this uses different accounts from the FTP service, you need to set them up separately.

+ General Settings: Whether you want to restrict access by accounts and password (first option in the list is no restriction)

+ Create New Share: Name, account id, select the path/folder, read-only/read-write

+ Account Management: 3 buttons there for creating new account, changing password, deleting account

+ Share Table: Shows the current list, for each you can edit or delete

> UPnP Media Server

+ Media Server: Here you will name the server and select the folder (it automatically creates a "media" folder on an attached storage). Nothing to set up, doesn't even have an on/off option. My PS3 detects and accesses it automatically.

> FTP Server

+ Anonymous: Whether anonymous connections are allowed (first option is allowed), folder, read-only/read-write

+ New Account: Account name, password, re-enter password, folder, read-only/read-write. If the NAS has multiple drives/partitions, you can only give an account access to one, will have to set up separate account for another drive/partition.

+ Account Table: Shows current accounts, their root folder and permission. For each, you can edit or delete.

> Device Management

+ Drive/Partition Information: List showing drive name (C, D, etc), file system, total space, used space, free space, usage %, and a button to format it

+ Storage: Shows the 'hard disks' attached (includes any other mass storage devices), a button to format it

+ USB Devices: Shows devices connected to the 2 USB ports and a "safely remove" button. Also shows USB printers attached (I have not tested with printer or webcam).

> Download Center

+ BitTorrent Download: There are 3 buttons and a table:

- Add BT Task: Lets you add a .torrent (you can select it from your PC's HDD) to the queue. New tasks will start automatically.

- BT Setting: Select the folder where downloaded files will be stored (it automatically creates a "BtDownload" folder), IP port, max download speed (in "KB/S", not sure if that is normal network speed measurement of "kbps" (bit) or speed measurement unit used in some BT clients of "kBps" (Byte)), max upload speed, automatic task adjustment (not sure what this is, choices are "Yes" and "No", in English wordings), after download completes seed for how long (in seconds, not minutes). Oddly, any change (even if you only changed the max speed) will only take effect after a reboot.

- Refresh: The page automatically refreshes regularly even if you don't click this button. Sometimes the NAS is too busy, the table will show a "busy" message.

- BT Queue Table: List of tasks. For each, you will see: name, size, status (downloading, seeding, stopped, unknown), % completion, size downloaded, download/upload speed, number of seeds connected/number of seeds, start/stop/delete buttons (delete only removes it from the queue, does not physically delete the downloaded files). Unfortunately it does not show the number of leechers connected/total.

> Sytem Tools

+ Reboot

+ Firmware Upgrade: I have no idea where to download new firmwares. My version is 2.5.0 dated May 21, 2009.

+ Reset to Factory Defaults. There is also a "reset" hole on the NAS itself.

+ Syst

Bottomline:

If you need one and know how to use one, not a bad choice.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections