DX » Community » Reviews » Flood-to-Throw Zooming Cree P4-WC 150lm 3-Mode LED Bike Light with Mount (3*AAA)
  • 5 star 92 ( 74% )
  • 4 star 32 ( 26% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 1 ( 1% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great flashlight

posted by Tankystas on 01/03/2010

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

*Great quality for price* - all metal construction, O-rings on all screw-down parts, quality finish - powder coating doesn't show any signs of wear after rolling about for a month in a pocket and being used on a daily base.

*Bright light* - with rechargeable AAA NiMh batteries it's bright enough to temporarily blind someone if pointed directly to the face at close range. It's bright enough with these, and when you need more - just throw in the lithium, would be even brighter with those.

*ADJUSTABLE FOCUS* - when focused(screwed out to max), the beam is good for 30 meters/100 feet. When screwed in, the width of the beam in close proximity is somewhat near 5 meters/15 feet wide. Thus the flashlight is extremely versatile.

*Flexible power source* - You can find AAA batteries just about anywhere. You can use rechargeable ones. You can use compatible Lithium batteries.

*3 light modes* You get max light, which will come in handy when you need the light desperately, med light, which is good for power saving and the flashlight will mostly be used in this mode, because it gives decent amount of light without being to harsh on batteries, and a strobe mode, which is great for use on bicycle, as blinking light is far more easier to notice for the vehicle drivers. It's simply spot-on. 1 mode would not be as versatile, and 5 or more modes simply suck - who in the world would EVER be using them all ?

Cons:

*The head of the flashlight*, used to adjust focus wobbles. This occurs when you turn the head anywhere between min and max zoom. When it's either at min or max - it's fine and sturdy, as the thread apparently keeps the head locked and prevents wobbling in these positions. Leave it adjusted for anything in between these two - and the head wobbles.

*The mounting bracket* for mounting light on a bicycle is cheap. It'll take some effort to mount the bracket on the standard bar. The fixation of the flashlight in the bracket itself is a lame design from the looks of it. I don't know how it'll perform (as it's winter now, not quite the time of the year to ride bicycle around), but it just seems cheap and unreliable from the looks of it.

*The on/off/mode change button*. It's doing it all - you press it all the way down and release to turn the thing on, you press it all the way down and release to turn it off. Half-way press of the button will change the mode. Thats not bad. BUT the lighting mode will also !automatically! rotate if you turn the flashlight off and then turn it back on at once. If you turn it off and let it be for a minute or so, it'll come back on in the same mode it was turned off in, when you turn it on. I'm not against multiple-mode flashlights, I simply don't like it changing the mode when I turn it off and back on.

OtherThoughts:

Bottomline:

It's a perfect pocket-sized all-around flashlight. Whether you're on a bicycle or on foot, it can always rest in your pocket and come out to do it's work when required. Generally this flashlight is a bargain, for those who only look at items like this below 10 bucks I can only add you get what you pay for. The flashlight this bright and of such build quality would cost you AT LEAST double in the retail store, and I won't event compare it's price to the fancy brands...

Some features are annoying, but nothing that would really deter from buying and using it. I'll definitely be getting at least one more of these as a gift, it's a perfect cheap present. And the best thing about it - it doesn't look nor feel cheap.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections