DX » Community » Reviews » Flood-to-Throw Zooming Cree P4-WC 150lm 3-Mode LED Bike Light with Mount (3*AAA)
  • 5 star 92 ( 74% )
  • 4 star 32 ( 26% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 1 ( 1% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Fine - with a caveat

posted by streetbystreet on 01/19/2010

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

3 modes [low, high, strobe]. Good build quality - tough without being hefty. All-metal body. Reasonably bright, and you can change the focus from flood to throw by rotating the head. Works with 3XAAA holder [included]; rechargeable LSD NiMH AAAs work well. Also works with rechargeable Li-ion 17500/18500 [I've used both]. 17500/18500 are brighter than AAA, but rattle around inside, even with rubber washers. The mount was tight and easy to use. All in all, fine quality.

Cons:

IMPORTANT PROBLEM: light would change between modes every time it was bumped or jarred in any way. On a bike, this includes going over a pot hole, random bumps in the road, gravel, going off a kerb, etc. Brightness was OK, but not great with 3XAAA. Much better with 18500, but then the rattling was worse, and the automatic mode-cycling gets worse. Loose contacts between AAA holder and rear of light.

OtherThoughts:

SOLUTION: 4 magnets [SKU 13518] placed on the negative end of the AAA holder made the contacts tight and solved the mode-cycling problem. I don't think I should have had to fix the light after buying it, but at this price, I suppose some fiddling is acceptable.

Bottomline:

Functions best with magnets at the negative end of the AAA-holder. A good light for the money, but count on a little bit of fiddling to make it work correctly.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections