DX » Community » Reviews » Universal AC to 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter
  • 5 star 12 ( 57% )
  • 4 star 6 ( 29% )
  • 3 star 3 ( 14% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Do its job but...

posted by JrBenito on 06/20/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This device is that kind of stuff you never know when will need it. It is very good to have one when you are transferring data from your GPS to you computer and the GPS battery get exhausted. Since my old Garmin GPS III has an "alien" connector and my cable is made for car 12V plug, this saves my life.

Cons:

The build quality is poor. I feel it will break after use it many times. The contacts are not very tight and I suggest you not shake the cable when it is connected the device. (anyone shakes the cable??? :()

I don´t know if it really can source 500mA but it would be a big deal with few more mA like 800mA or even 1A.

OtherThoughts:

Would be better if source, at least 800mA, but it is good enough to save my GPS battery when doing sync with computer. (no, my GPS is not able to get power from USB, it is a very old Garmin GPS III unit)

Bottomline:

If you have a device made for can 12V plugs this is a nice to have gadget specially if your device need to be synced with computer or used outside the car. Most new devices are capable to get power from USB when being used with computers so this is going to be deprecated.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections