• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Driver-free USB-IR Remote Controller

posted by sta64 on 01/28/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Works straight out of the box. Your operating system only has to support USB-based input devices (HID).
    - If not necessarily 18 meters, the sight distance should be enough for a usual room.

Cons:

- The build quality is cheap. I expect the silver coating of the plastic to rub off soon, even during plain daily use. Also, make sure to not drop it too often. ;-)
    - The further you are, the more precisely you have to point the remote controller towards its receiver, even with freshly recharged batteries. (A bit too narrow cone of emission?)
    - The joystick for controlling the mouse cursor is pretty useless as, for some weird reason, straight up/down/left/right is virtually impossible. Oh well, I'm into hotkeys anyway...
    - As a programmer myself, I would've been happier if the hotkeys were configurable as the ones burned into the device conflict with the ones I've been using for years (Ctrl-Alt-letters for launching favorite applications).

OtherThoughts:

See my photos of the insides.

Bottomline:

Simple, effective, no-nonsense. Don't be discouraged about my writing more cons than pros: this is nevertheless a good device, it's just me being too picky. ;-)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections