There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great output in a small form factor

posted by OmNomNomNom on 10/01/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Bright! This thing is as bright as my Maglite D4 which is an incandescent light and has maybe 10x the volume and weight as this Akoray K-109.
    It has five output modes which you switch between by either turning it off and on quickly or by pressing the button only halfway down; high, medium and low output, high output strobe and high output SOS signalling. It spells SOS like it should: ... - - - ... (& repeat)
    It remembers what mode it was in when you last switched it off and starts up in that mode.
    Very compact size so it's easy to carry with you.

Cons:

Less suitable to use for bludgeoning violence than the D4. The belt clip or whatever it is would not hold up to as much action as the rest of the light.
    On medium and low it emits a buzzing sound like a bad phone line. It does not bother me but it makes me think there is some problem with the construction.
    The threads were not lubricated out of the box (well there really was no box) but that is easily remedied, and it isn't much of a con anyway.
    Probably less than 230 lumen (half?).

OtherThoughts:

The button on the base charges up with light and then gives off a slight shine in darkness for maybe ten minutes. There is one also a similar green glow in the dark o-ring in the front by the glass, and two more of those where you unscrew the lamp head from the battery compartment. The lamp reflector is not smooth (ie it's OP structured - orange peel).

Bottomline:

This was my first LED flashlight larger than a photon, and also my first DX purchase.
    I really like it. 230 lumens should be almost twice as bright as the Maglite D4, and I don't think that is true in this case. The compact size makes it pretty awesome anyway, and the price is not too bad either. I think I'm gonna get a few more of these.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections