Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week
- No driver needed (XP Pro SP3).
- Very decent image quality.
- Handles low light conditions well even without LEDs turned on.
- Nice casing made of actual metal.
- Good clip.
- Image is fairly blue and close to impossible to correct in the settings due to there being no whitebalance option (the box claims this is automatic, but if so, it doesn't work so well).
- LEDs are blueish, which makes them rather less useful than they might have been.
- The 'adjustable' LEDs have three settings on mine; Off, Too Weak and Too Strong.
- No driver, manual or info whatsoever in the box and the cam doesn't even appear to have a name, so it's difficult to find the drivers yourself.
- Face tracking (with driver installed) doesn't appear to work.
Even though it works very well without a driver, I wanted to find the driver to see if it would help correct the image colours.
It took me three days and I had to open the cam too. The chip is a Sonix SN9C288AFB, which is not listed on Sonix Inc.'s website, but I eventually managed to determine that the drivers for SN9C25x (filename: VideoClassUSB20PCCam_v5.8.29000.0.exe) should work with it and they do. They can be found here: http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/downloadSearch.do
5MP snapshots (interpolated), zoom, various silly effects and such work. Facetracking does not appear to and the image settings don't offer any more (maybe a bit less) than the Windows driver, so it may have been a wasted effort. It's not needed, at least.
Some of the reviews state that this cam has a mic built in, but mine definitely doesn't (I didn't expect it to either, so this is fine).
As an aside, it took about two months before the cam arrived, apparently due to the Chinese new year and other interruptions, but I'm glad I didn't cancel my order.
I am quite happy with this cam. The quality is on par with cams I would expect to pay 5-6 times as much for locally. The colours could be better, though.
Build quality is also much higher than I would expect for this price.
And most importantly, my partner, who's the one who has to watch it, is very happy with it.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.