DX » Community » Reviews » 1-Port eSATA ExpressCard/34mm Expansion Card for Laptops (3Gbps)
  • 5 star 4 ( 80% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 20% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Seems to have come right

posted by joshyboy on 06/21/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

Seems to be working ok now. Get around 70MB/s transfers. Plugs and plays. Slots fine into a 54mm expresscard slot.

Cons:

Was getting around 10-15MB/s when I first plugged it in.
    I used the standard windows drivers and it wasn't happy. Since the CD supplied is a mini one and I have a lot load drive, I couldn't use it. I downloaded a driver from softpedia.com (JMB36X Raid driver) and installed it. I restarted and plugged it in, then for about 30 seconds, my whole system locked up every second in time with HDD activity. After that, the read speeds improved.
    Just trying it now, system still exhibits this locking up behaviour when I reconnect the drive. This could be something to do with a conflict between the RAID controller and the filesystem present on the device (just a guess - don't know much about it).

OtherThoughts:

I guess once drive is connected, it all runs fine. Behaviour is a little strange though.

Bottomline:

It works, it's cheap. I can now put an SSD inside my laptop and leave all the large files to this puppy.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections