Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Bright light, impressive array of LEDs

posted by dbecker on 08/17/2007
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

This bike light has three sets of LEDs and four modes:
    10 LEDs inner ring
    17 LEDs middle ring
    26 LEDs outer ring

The first three modes lights additional rings, the fourth mode flashes all 53 LEDs.

With a fresh set of three Akaline AA cells the light consumes:

10 LEDs 175mA
    27 LEDs 550mA
    53 LEDs 880mA

With mid-quality NiMH cells I measured
    10 LEDs 155mA
    27 LEDs 420mA
    53 LEDs 670mA

The battery voltage and current sagged quickly in the all-LEDs-on mode.

A significant advantage is that this light uses lower-cost AA cells instead of AAA cells. And with this current draw you'll be concerned about capacity and cost.

The light is visually interesting, with a dramatic array of LEDs on a 55mm diameter mirror background. The array is easily seen through the flat clear plastic lens on the front.

The handlebar clamp is 1"/25mm nominal, with a clamping range of about 3mm -- not enough for a larger or smaller bar.

Cons:

In 53 LED mode the high current caused the batteries I was using to drop in voltage pretty quickly, reducing the current. The batteries would likely last noticably less than 2 hours -- pretty much unacceptable for most users.

OtherThoughts:

The handlebar clamp may have been designed for a smaller, lighter lamp. I'll add to this review if it fails in use.

Bottomline:

If you consider power-hungry 53 LED mode reserved for occasional use, or like the look of a large array of LEDs, this is the light for you. Otherwise a smaller, lighter model should be considered.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections