Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Good choice, but you need to make some fixes!

posted by XaoS87 on 08/14/2011
    10 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

- Very good build quality as for me. (Except broken pixels I have..)

- You can adjust image quality (focus) by regulating inner lens (you can unscrew camera's front head without bolts)

- IR lights power is very good

- Camera's sensor is very good for indoor use (but big issue for outdoor - see cons)

- You can find some tools and firmware updates at the MayGion's site. (their site sometimes down)

- You can use /videostream.cgi for video streaming, or just MJPEG by requesting /snap.jpg continuously.

Please note, you should add "?usr=admin&pwd=admin" (v3.1 firmware) to the each query (without "). Of course if admin:admin is your login:password.

Please note, for firmware v3.0 use "?usEr=admin&pwd=admin"... Yes, just letter "E" is the difference.

Cons:

Has several issues which are difficult to debug:

1. WiFi connection is not working without Ethernet plugged in, or works just 5 minutes at all

Why: It's because you're using WPA2 security level.

How to FIX: change router's security level to WPA and encryption to TKIP.

2. Web UI menu item "Wireless connection" breaks with error "Failed to fetch data"

Why: camera's found some routers nearby with SSID (name) which contains non-Latin symbols. F.e. russian cyrilic ones

How to FIX: just use Chrome browser for this menu item (or you can fix html file if you're developer)

3. Always use "Outdoor" mode. 50 or 60 Hz are not reliable values for this camera's sensor (just indoor with small environmental light).

HARDEST ISSUE :

4. Even if you use "Outdoor" mode, camera's CPU/RAM hangs up, and image will not be transferred to your server or it will be broken - ONLY IF the Sun is shining brightly and environmental NATURAL light is too high.

Why: seems CPU/RAM hardware is too weak for such unoptimized algorithm (in 3.0-3.1 firmware). Camera's sensor is too sensitive, so it has good possibilities to "see" at night and bad at daylight

How to FIX: you can buy ND (neutral density) Filter like for photo cameras, than cut circles from it ant insert to the cameras "eye"... (you can unscrew camera's front head without bolts).

I mean, small circle just for camera's objective to shade it.. Don't cover IR emitters with it!

Of course you can do it just from some plastic packages from some goods... (but you'll have slightly worst image quality)

Please note, it's not necessary to use very shaded glass or plastic! Just little shaded...

- My camera got ~5 broken pixels (1 blue and 3 white) in 3 days of using it indoor. Maybe it was shipped already with this issue, but it hard to find out (seen during the daylight + specific gray background).

- Bad support from this manufacturer (thy answered just once at all)

...So could be cheaper than analogs because of such bugs...

OtherThoughts:

- If you use 320x240 you'll not experience any issues with camera's sensor like described in cons.

Russian/Ukrainian winter too cold sometimes...

- I'm going to use it outdoor even in winter, so I need additional heater inside it.

I've designed small improvement to my camera: you can buy 12V heater replacement (for soldering station for example) $3-10, insert it inside the camera to the bottom side, make good connection between it and the camera's box using thermal paste (like for cooler for CPU) and connect it with small thermal relay (which turns on when temperature below 0 or even 10 degrees).

Than just connect this items to the power source wires. Make sure that you have enough power from supply: camera wants about 1A, my heater 0.6-1A, so I've replaced power supply with 12V 2A...

Bottomline:

I'm developing surveillance system for friend's store. So it's not expensive good choice, after spent my 10 nights on debugging/research/fixes...

I'm very advise you to upgrade firmware to the latest one. But please, read upgrading manual carefully! It's easy, just uploading some files through FTP to the camera...

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections