DX » Community » Reviews » Protective Plastic Case for 3.5" SATA HDD (Translucent Green)
  • 5 star 2 ( 40% )
  • 4 star 3 ( 60% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice and useful, not perfect.

posted by petronixx on 12/13/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Very useful if you use external SATA / IDE hard drives. I'm using those like huge diskettes using an external docking bay, also available on DX. 
    These are great for storing the drives while not in use, in a drawer or a cabinet. Protects the drives nicely from occasional bumps and scratches. 
    Not perfect (See cons) but the best solution I have found so far. Bought 5 of each color.

Cons:

However practical and useful, there are some cons:
    Build quality: 
    - The latch is very difficult for open and close. It's built wrong. I'd like to see a different kind. 
    - There is no seal. No protection from dust, and of course water. For this high grade plastic and such a difficult closure mechanism, why not make it sealed? The plastic work could have been better. 
    A foam makes it seemingly "shock resistant" but this is useless, as the whole case is so tight, the disk will absorb the entire shock. The foam only helps when inserting the drive so it won't bump in the closure. Once inside - no shock resistance.

OtherThoughts:

Far from perfect but the best solution I found so far. I'm still on the look for other ideas for off-line storage of internal disks.

Bottomline:

Have external disks? Get these boxes. Simple.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections