• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Best bang for the buck

posted by caesarc on 07/31/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

* price

* features and functions

* build quality

* ease of use (even for non experienced users)

* can compete with devices that cost 2-4 times more (thanks for DX prices)

* after the firmware hack (if you decide for it) you get a 100MHz device, effectively doubling its value.

* it's the real deal, a true Rigol

Cons:

* power cable was for UK or Australia/New Zealand (easily provided mine as it is a standard connector on the device)

* package was just like in the picture, meaning the device was protected by just 2 small foam caps. Guess I was lucky and it still worked. Postal services tend to drop packages around. Anyway, this means that it's a very sturdy well built device!

OtherThoughts:

Mine came with firmware 2.2SP2 (0.2.2.2).

A quick downgrade to 2.1 allowed me to change it to a DS1100E by serial connection, then upgraded back to 2.2SP2.

What this means? You get for less than 400$ (with EMS included) a device that can do real 100MHz.

Rigol uses the same boards in their DS1052E as in their double freq. DS1102E, crippling it deliberately through the firmware. Remove the limit and you get a DS1102E, doubling the value. There is no danger as this is not overclocking!

Still do it at your own risk.

Bottomline:

Best deal if you want a starter scope.

Best deal ever if you want a 100MHz scope (very easy firmware hack).

Get your own power cable for US or EU.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections