DX » Community » Reviews » High Power Palm-size 802.11b/g WiFi USB Adapter with High Gain Antenna
  • 5 star 10 ( 40% )
  • 4 star 15 ( 60% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice wifi adapter

posted by W00fer on 02/01/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

Have received this adapter in 13 days. Nice price. It comes in very handy if you don't have wifi in your laptop or on the pc. My laptop wifi wasn't too good in the attic, so i decided to buy this little thing, to upgrade it. I could have bought a new router (N spec) or fit in an old router, but this is much handier for on the go use with my laptop.
    It's nice and small, you can turn the flashing led off if you want.
    Nice setup and included wifi manager (Realtek).
    Gives about 20 dBm increase in Netstumbler 0.4.0 over my build in Intel 2200BG wifi.
    I've got the one with the 5dBi antenna (small round stick). Receives much more networks, and has about 10-15% more signal.
    Maybe the more expensive models have even better chipsets and antenna's but i think this fits my need.

Cons:

Chipset isn't known by me. Could be a RTL8187L, or RTL8187B. I've got it on a Mac OSX 10.5.8 with the L driver, but the mini driver cd included in the box says it's a B. Maybe i'll open it up later this month or do a check on linux.
    Too bad it's very light, a bit heavier would have been handy.
    Fits in my laptop bag, but i need to unscrew the antenna everytime i'm leaving, so another system or retractable antenna had been nice. So therefore not the full 5 stars.
    Manual is very, very short. The manual from the GSKY link website doesn't contain that much info either.
    SKU 20646 is TAIWAN made, and contains a better chipset they say. You'll pay 5 bucks more for that.
    Mine is China made, and could be a RTL8187B, but i'm not planning to return mine.

OtherThoughts:

Bottomline:

Nice wifi adapter, good price. There are rumors that this is a cheap knockoff from real GSKY-link versions, but i don't care, because it works and comes at a nice price.
    Similar wifi adapters cost upto 100 euro's at my local shop and do nothing more i guess.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections