Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Bright quality flashlight

posted by OrbiterOne on 01/26/2011
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Work with Li-Ion (very bright), bright even with Alkaline, clear optic (lens and reflector), strong white beam, good construction and design, spring assisted back plate contact, no major complaints in assembly quality.

Very useful HI-MED-LOW modes. 3 blinking modes.

Cons:

Gets pretty warm on Alkaline after 10-15min at HI. You can warm your hands in cold weather. :) And when I connected head without main body to external Li-Ion, it's getting really hot after 2-3 min. With body it will better dissipate heat, but I'm not sure about full runtime test on HI.

Comes just in bubbles bag, without any tiny datasheet.

Unlubed thread.

Slightly off centered spring under plate, but this is not a problem in fact.

OtherThoughts:

Running time on alkaline at HI is about 50 min, at the end brightness ~50%. After that brightness rapidly fall down in a few min.

I also connect head to the external Li-Ion battery (I just don't have AA size right now) and the light output is almost twice. I did five or more exchanges between Alkaline and Li-Ion and all work fine, driver not fried. At least for now. 8)

No any sound on Alkaline or Li-Ion.

Memory works when there is a pause >~30s before ON again.

When running on half-discharged alkaline flashlight suddenly stopped working on mode change or after Off and On right again. After waiting about min flashlight can be run again. Seems driver needs good alkaline with higher current for startup.

Bottomline:

Very good flashlight with bright R2 Cree and some minor cons. I will definitely buy 14500 protected li-ion - this flashlight deserves it. And it is good to have alkaline backup possibility. I measured to have about 1mm or slightly more free space for battery with AA Alkaline, so I hope Trustfire protected 14500 will fit fine without any workaround (cut down spring...).

With Alkaline you'll have good light output. NiMh is a better option for more stable light output during run time. But the best option - Li-Ion, which double the light output and R2 really shines here.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections