• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Awesome High-Power LED

posted by Electronut on 04/16/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

This LED is awesome! Only takes 3V to light, yet I can drive it stock with 80mA-100mA continuous (3.6-3.8V) and it's super bright. It handles more current than a 5mm LED, which makes it much more intense. If you solder a piece of copper wire to the negative terminal of the LED to heatsink it, it's even safer for much more current. I can run 140mA @4V constant with heatsinking the LED. Fantastic LED!!!

Cons:

None at all!

OtherThoughts:

This LED is being used in pairs (with resistors and other parts) to replace 4W incandescent 12VAC bulbs in a yard lighting system. The goal is energy savings, and more appealing, brighter white light. Also will use a cluster for a bicycle headlight.

Bottomline:

These LED's are for hard-driving! They are similar to a 5mm at normal currents of 20mA, but when you crank them up, they are blindingly impressive, and don't burn out at well over 100mA! (don't push your luck of course, but I've not burned out any of them at all)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections