DX » Community » Reviews » Hugsby P2 Cree Q5-WC 190-Lumen 3-Mode LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500)
  • 5 star 28 ( 78% )
  • 4 star 8 ( 22% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Excellent little thrower!

posted by sparktastic on 02/06/2010

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Despite what the title says, this light also works well with CR123 rechargeable and primary cells! if you remove the little extender tube, CR123 cells fit right in with no problems. I guess the 14500 cells would be a better option because it means you can leave the extender tube in place and revert back to
    using AA's in an emergency.
    Fantastic throw from the plastic optic lens. Hotspot is about 1 meter diameter at about 10m distance.
    Nice looking.
    Good to hold - good knurling all over.
    Tailstands.
    Modes: High, low and strobe (default turn on mode is high, then you cycle through the other modes). I measured about 1A current draw at 1.5v and about 800Ma at 3.7v(both from tailcap). Doesn't really tell you much, other than the brightness is probably twice as high on 3 or 3.6v batteries.

Cons:

* Don't appear to be able to dissasemble the head - seems to be glued together.
    * The plastic optics will scratch easily. The 'assualt crown offers some protection, but it would be nice to have a glass lens in front (although this would drop the output slightly).
    * Belt clip is a nice idea, but the screws come loose easily and it will eventually fall off.
    * Unit does get quiet warm if running from =>3v for extended periods.

OtherThoughts:

A better clip would be nice. Maybe the other way around so the flashlight points down when clipped to your belt.
    A glass lens in front of the plastic optic to protect it.
    The optic on this light is interesting in that it does seem to be very efficient. The hotspot is intense, but there is not a lot of sidespill for close up work.

Bottomline:

Good value as long as it holds together and the optic doesn't end up looking like so many of my toddlers DVD movies (all scratched and un-playable).

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections